Lavender in a pot seems something unreal or complex, everyone is used to seeing it in the vast fields of Provence. Today, even beginner gardeners can grow a fragrant plant and decorate their home with it.
The peculiarity of lavender is in its structure, it looks like a small bush without a main stem. Landing and capacity selection largely depend on the size of the root system.
Dimensions of the root system
The central root of the shrub is well developed in length, in open soil it grows up to 40 cm. Lavender at home in the pot is small in size, its root system can grow up to 15-20 cm in length.
Lavender in a white flowerpot
The root is constantly growing, every year the pot is changed to a new, more spacious one.
Difficulty landing and transplanting
Lavender does not like frequent transplants and reacts poorly to them. At home, transplantation is a necessary measure, it is carried out as the roots grow. The procedure is performed carefully during dormancy, moving the plant with a large lump of earth.
Varieties of pots
Before you grow lavender at home yourself, you need to choose the right pot for it.
A cache-pot is a decorative container in which a pot with a plant is installed. Benefits:
- Aesthetic appearance;
- The ability to immediately purchase a large cache-pot, which will fit the grown lavender;
- No need to choose expensive pots that will change frequently.
Flowerpots are called decorative pots made of stone, gypsum or metal, which are outdoors. There are vessels made of clay, ceramics or concrete. Flowerpots for planting lavender can be mobile, so that with the onset of cold weather they can be easily moved to the room.
Flowerpots on the street
Lavender grows well in spacious pots, the diameter of which is not less than 25-30 cm. The shrub grows rapidly, so you can choose the capacity "for growth". The height of the pot should be 5-6 cm greater than the length of the central root, the volume of at least 2 liters.
It is advisable to choose breathable materials such as clay, wood and ceramics. It is allowed to use metal and pots with a glossy surface with drainage openings.
Note! The pot must be light or medium tone. Dark surfaces heat up faster and retain heat, which is unacceptable for lavender.
The price depends on the material and size, as well as on the appearance of the pot and the amount of decor. Prices for pots vary from 1 thousand rubles. up to 7-9 thousand p * and more. Flowerpots made of clay or ceramics will cost an average of 300 r. up to 4-5 thousand p. *
* Prices are valid for July 2019.
Indoor flowers play a significant role in the interior decoration of an apartment, a pot for planting should be combined with the overall concept. In pursuit of unusual design solutions, you should not forget about functionality. Before buying, you need to pay attention to the following criteria:
- The material must be breathable or have holes for airing the soil;
- The shape of the vessel should be elongated, you can not choose low and wide pots;
- A prerequisite is the presence of drainage holes;
- The lavender pot should not be dark, even if it is a stylish design decision.
Preferring an ordinary pot or a designer one is everyone’s personal choice, but keep in mind that in a year lavender will have to be transplanted to a new place.
Note! A more rational solution is to purchase a designer planter, in which case the appearance of the pot does not matter.
Specialized (other types)
In addition to traditional flowerpots and flowerpots, there are a number of unusual flower containers, these include:
- Hanging pots and flowerpots - an alternative to ordinary flowerpots that allow you to raise up lavender shrubs;
- Cache-pot with lighting - a design solution for the design of gardens and verandas;
- Silicone flowerpots and pots - one of the latest decisions of designers. In such a flowerpot, you can bend the edges, bend back and increase its volume as the flower grows;
- Florariums - vessels made of transparent glass. Only photophilous plants resistant to dry weather can grow in them;
- One of the latest developments is smart pots with an automatic irrigation system. Development is relevant for plants requiring regular hydration.
Which pot is best
An unusual decoration of the room - lavender in a pot, growing a house begins with his choice. In addition to general requirements, there are more accurate ones that depend on the type of plant.
The choice of flowerpot depends on the type and variety of plants, the characteristics of irrigation. When choosing a pot, special calculations do not need to be carried out, it is enough to focus on the age of the plant and the size of its roots.
When planting young plants
Seedlings grown from seeds have small dimensions. Initially, it can be planted in temporary small pots. The size of the vessel should be 3-4 cm larger than an earthen coma with lavender roots.
When replanting old
Transplanting old plants, it is necessary to build on the size of the root system. The new vessel should be 5-7 cm larger than the previous one, the roots should not be in contact with the walls of the pot.
With different types of irrigation
The type of container for planting depends on the type of irrigation; there are 2 types of irrigation:
- Artificial is watering that can be adjusted. In this case, you need to choose a pot with holes to remove excess fluid that drains into the pan;
- Natural watering due to rains if the flowerpot is on the street. During rain, it is advisable to remove the lavender in a shelter in order to prevent waterlogging. There are situations when the owners are not at home, or they do not have time to bring the plant under a canopy. In this case, you need to choose hanging pots or flowerpots that are installed on an elevation - from them the excess water will leave on its own.
Picture 5 Hanging flowerpot
Landing on the street
For outdoor planting, containers made of weatherproof materials are suitable. You can use clay and ceramic pots, flowerpots made of gypsum or concrete. If metal vessels are used, they must be stainless or enameled. Wooden products should be covered with waterproof coatings.
Planting and caring for lavender at home
If lavender grows in a pot, caring for it is different from a wild shrub. In winter, a flower container is brought into the room, in the warm season, lavender should be on the balcony or near an open window.
Lavender in the house
How to care for lavender in a pot at home:
- The plant is watered with soft, settled water. The first 2 months after planting, watering is carried out 2-3 times a week, then moisten further as the soil dries;
- Water that flows out through the drainage holes is immediately removed so that it does not absorb back;
- In hot weather, the plant is additionally sprayed with water;
- The flower is actively fed for 2 months after planting. Complex fertilizer on a mineral basis is applied every 14 days;
- When the plant has taken root, it is fed every 3 weeks with liquid formulations. Before flowering, you can use nitrogen fertilizers. After the beginning of flowering, they switch to mixtures containing phosphorus and potassium. In the resting period, fertilizers do not need to be applied;
- Lavender requires a lot of sunlight, it should be on the south or southeast side. The lack of lighting is compensated by fluorescent lamps;
- In summer or early fall, when flowering ends, the plant is pruned. In the spring, you can carry out forming pruning to give the right shape;
- If lavender is on the windowsill above the radiator, it is better to remove it to another cool place during the heating season;
- In spring, the plant is transplanted into a new larger pot. The transplantation is carried out by the method of transshipment - together with a lump of land.
Note! Lavender does not like a lot of moisture. If moisture is not enough, lavender will not dry out, but its color will be less intense.
How to make a pot yourself
Thrifty owners will find it unreasonable to buy a new lavender pot every year, because you can make it yourself from simple materials.
To make a pot yourself, you can use simple and affordable materials:
Note! Most people for some reason forget about old cans, buckets and plastic containers, on their basis you can make a new flowerpot and arrange it to your taste.
Depending on the material chosen, additional components will be required:
- Quick fix glue;
- Concrete, gypsum and clay will need water;
- Varnish coating to protect wood from moisture;
- Wicker pots need a plastic base, durable twine and burlap.
When the previous shrub has been transplanted to a new place, there is no need to rush to dispose of the old pot, it can be reused.
How to clean
The pot can be used again to plant a new lavender bush in it. Before use, it is necessary to remove the remains of potted soil and plaque on the walls. With what to do it:
- The vessel is washed, large pieces of plaque are removed with a metal washcloth or a brush;
- The container is soaked for 40 minutes. in water mixed with 9% vinegar in a ratio of 3: 1. The solution can be poured into the middle of the pot if there are no holes in it;
- After the plaque becomes soft, it can be easily brushed off with a brush or washcloth.
Note! Detergents and cleaners can be used, but they are absorbed into porous materials. The washed vessel must be soaked in water for at least 12 hours before use.
How to fix
A common problem of clay and ceramic pots is the appearance of cracks, but there is no need to rush to throw them away. If the flowerpot cracked, but keeps its shape, the crack can be covered with clay or filled with sealing glue or silicone.
If the pot has split into several large parts, it can be glued using cyanoacrylate glue and sealing compounds. The glued seams look unattractive, the repaired thing can be decorated to your taste.
Lavender at home in a pot is beautiful and unusual, it will bloom and fill the air with a delicate aroma. Everyone can grow it, if you choose a suitable place and follow the rules of planting.